Sunday, January 1, 2012

My dog would be better off on the side of the road than at the pound...

FALSE!!!

I do not know if people here think that (although I know some do because I have actually had people tell me that) or if they do not want to take the responsibility of bringing them to the shelter. It's just a dog, after all. /sarcasm Yes, you might leave your dog on the side of the road and some kind person or rescue MAY see it and bring it home to keep or find a home for it. I may also win the lottery tomorrow, but the odds are against it.

The more likely scenario will be what I saw yesterday (and it's not the first time, nor the last, I am sure)...the dog that you leave on the side of the road will run out in front of a vehicle and suffer a horrific death that NO ONE AND NOTHING should suffer. That dog that you dropped on the side of the road, in hopes of it finding a better home (I have to believe in my heart that is the real misguided reason that you did it), runs out, either not being street smart or searching for food or whatever, and has his head crushed by a truck tire. Blessedly, immediate death. However, wouldn't the shelter and humane euthanasia be the better way to go? YES. It would!!!

How about this...you bring your dog to the shelter...they
*get adopted
*get humanely euthanised
Either way, they do not suffer. They do not suffer a horrific death. Yes, it sucks going in to the shelter (for you and them, if you have any heart), however, if you cannot/will not take the time to rehome them yourself or contact a rescue to see if they can take them, it is the appropriate and responsible thing to do.

If you leave them on the side of the road...they
*get hit by a car and suffer
*get hit by a car and have immediate death (sad that this is the preferred!)
*starve to death
*rarely get picked up and saved

I have a hard time seeing people bring animals to the pound, however, I would far rather see that than throwing them from the car. I really do think that people are misguided when they do this. They really do think it's the better option. It's not. Truly. Please either take your dog to the shelter/rescue/pound OR take the time to rehome them yourself. Your pet has done nothing wrong. They deserve better. Even if they HAVE done something wrong (chased livestock, bit someone, etc.) taking them to the pound is the responsible thing to do.

I am truly at a loss as to how to change things. I talk to my children about it often in some way. They know how I feel. They know what I expect of them. They have known about animals and responsibility for them since they could talk and understand. However, education is needed greatly. We need to get in these schools and have programs teaching children about animals, responsibility, choices and respect for ALL living things. That includes spay and neuter to control the population, what to do if you are truly no longer able to keep an animal (hey, I have been there! I understand that it happens. I had a dog that bit. We rehomed him through a breed specific rescue and he now lives in NY City! Go Westbrook!). Education, education, education!!! Animals are not trash, they are not throw away things. Don't have them if you do not plan to have a commitment for their best care and keeping, including what to do if you can no longer care for them! (And I don't mean because they no longer match the drapes or they shed (many dogs do!) or they have too much energy or they chew things or...or...or... Quite honestly, if you don't want to deal with it, get a fur real puppy. They don't chew or potty in the house AND if you get sick of them, you can take the batteries out! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment